- Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator
- Go to our website »
Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator position. The Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $23.67 per hour - commensurate with experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
Under the direction of the Chemical Laboratory Coordinator, the Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator provides support in the prepping of the teaching laboratories in the Department of Chemistry (introductory chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and courses for non-majors) and in the development of new teaching experiments. Also, the Assistant assists in maintaining the chemistry stockroom.
The Chemistry Department offers 21-24 teaching laboratory sections every semester, which serve a diverse group of 300-375 students. The first section of the day can begin as early as 8:00 am, while the last section may conclude as late as 6:30 pm. To provide lab prep for all of these sections, the Assistant Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator works closely in conjunction with Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator to ensure that all laboratory sections are properly prepped.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Provide assistance to the Chemical Laboratory Coordinator to:
- Prep the teaching labs (between 21-24 lab sections per week) and prepare all necessary solutions
- Ensure that teaching labs are fully stocked with the necessary chemicals and apparatus necessary at the beginning of each lab period and that the labs are tidy at the end of the session
- Maintain and test equipment
- As necessary, analyze samples generated by students in the teaching labs and update software on departmental computers not maintained by the College's IT Department
Stockroom and Chemical Management
Provide assistance to the Chemical Laboratory Coordinator as required to:
- Maintain the VERTERE chemical inventory system for the College and conduct annual chemical inventory audits
- Maintain the departmental stockroom and the all-science stockroom in the new Science Center
- Order chemicals and supplies, including glassware, gas cylinders, and equipment
- Conduct weekly inspections of the department's eye-wash stations and chemical-waste satellite accumulation areas
- Associate's Degree in Chemistry or related field
- 1-2 years of research experience in an academic or industrial chemistry lab
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
- Proficient in MS Office and the ability to learn new software programs
- Commitment to working with a diverse community
- Flexible schedule to meet the needs of the laboratory sections including early evenings
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and lift test
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or related field
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Assistant-Chemical-Laboratory-Coordinator_JR3764-1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency